I am having so much fun in Flora Bowley's e-course, Bloom True. This is what I have so far on one of three canvases that I've started. There are several layers including a black and white layer and a translucent layer. The value contrast layer really brings the most drama to the painting and changes the painting drastically. I just love what is going on here, the colors and the marks, and can't wait to see where it takes me from here. I'm finding the process thrilling. Here are the other two:
A few things I've learned so far:
- To keep my warm colors separate from my cool colors for now. Really helps maintain the integrity of the colors.
- To use my brushes in an infinite variety of ways.
- Every mark is supposed to be there. :-)
- Not to worry about what happens or what gets covered up.
- To trust the process, to trust myself.
- To rotate my canvas.
- To not become too attached to any image or idea too soon. Give the painting time to emerge.
- Variety, variety, variety. The under painting gives the painting it's depth. :-) (love this one!)
- To enjoy finger painting (I remember thoroughly disliking finger painting in kindergarten!)