I love simple, vegetarian meals and dishes. Something about eating that way is elegant to me. I always feel as if I've nourished my body and my soul. Lately I've been craving this dish. It's simplicity makes for a nice lunch or a simple dinner. It's wonderful paired with some whole grain bread or toast and some lentils (which I skipped this time). I also add just a touch of turmeric which is not included in the original recipe. Totally satisfying and easy to make in just minutes.
Potato and Cauliflower Subzi
Makes 4 servings
1 Tbsp ghee or olive oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt, to taste
2 medium-size new red potatoes, washed and cubed
1 medium-size head of cauliflower, washed and separated into florets
1 tomato, coarsely chopped
A few cilantro leaves, washed and chopped
1. Heat the ghee or oil in a large pan.
2. Put in the cumin seeds, followed by the ginger, pepper, and salt.
3. Quickly add the cubed potatoes and cauliflower florets; toss to coat thoroughly. (Here is where I add 1/8-1/4 tsp, more or less, of Turmeric)
4. Add 2 Tbsp of the water, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft but not mushy.
5. Add the chopped tomato and chopped cilantro leaves.
Serve hot with whole grain bread and lentils.